}

Monday, October 29, 2012

Lauterbrunnen, Murren, and Grimmelwald Switzerland

Wednesday morning we took the train to Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland while our friends Angie and Shane headed up to Strasbourg, France.

This was the view from our balcony


Lauterbrunnen is in a valley and reminded me a lot of Colorado



Waterfalls were everywhere


Thursday we took the lift up the mountain and hiked over to Murren



Wengen is another popular town in the mountains above Lauterbrunnen. We had the choice of either Wengen or Murren and chose the Murren hike because it was a bit easier. We could see Wengen through the trees here.


Jas photo bombed me


This was the most gorgeous, sunny day. A lot of our trip was rainy and overcast. Hiking this day was absolutely perfect.


The town of Murren



Parasailing is popular here, as is base jumping. We didn't see any base jumpers but we heard a few horror stories. I know that it's not for me. I would consider parasailing though. Jas won't consider either.







After Murren we took this lift to Grimmelwald and hiked back over to Lauterbrunnen












Jas says this photo captures what I look like on most vacations


A couple from the states we met in Murren told us about this spot. On the side of the mountain is a little bench that overlooks this area. It was incredible.


As for food, I'm not sure Switzerland is well known for any certain cuisine other than chocolate and fondue. Maybe rosti. We did try rosti one night. Our last night in Switzerland we decided to "splurge" and go to the best restaurant in town, The Oberland Hotel restaurant, which happened to be the hotel we were staying at. The hotel is great and we loved it. Very cozy. Switzerland prices, however, are ridiculously high. We ate a lot of meals from the grocery store. 

During our "splurge", Jas ordered the rosti which is basically hash browns smothered in whatever menu option you choose (meats, cheeses, veggies, etc...) I really wanted to order fondue just to say I had it in Switzerland but I kid you not it was $49 francs ($52.39). Jas asked if he could please make me some in the crockpot when we got home, ha! So instead I ordered schnitzel. I've only had it two other times and was introduced to it by our dear friends and old neighbors, the Andersons, after Quinn was born. It's delicious. And I was so excited when the best restaurant in town made it exactly how i remember it!

France up next

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

You did a great job on the pictures!!!! Some of those places look so quaint! And their little flower boxes are precious!

Angie said...

Beautiful pictures! It looks so breathtaking!

Deb said...

Let me pick my jaw up off the floor! Gorgeous pictures!!