}

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Baked Cheese Frittata

Before we left for our vacation up north earlier this summer, my personal challenge was to find ways to use all the ingredients in our fridge so as little as possible would go to waste. We also needed food for the car trip to help save a couple bucks and calories rather than buying fast food.

Looking in the fridge, we had plenty of eggs and cheese to use up.  I found a recipe on Food.com for a baked cheese frittata. Perfect.

recipe HERE

I adapted the recipe to fit what I had on hand. This is my version:

Ingredients:
~ 6 large eggs
~ 1 cup frozen peas, cooked
~ 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
~ 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
~ cooking spray

Directions:
~Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8 casserole dish. I used a pie plate.
~Mix together eggs, 1/2 of the cheese, and cooked peas
~Pour into casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
~Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes

This was really good and filling. I served it with a spinach salad. I've also made this one other time and used 7 eggs, 1/2 cup raw, sliced mushrooms, and 1/2 cup of cooked spinach. The extra egg didn't seem to make a different in texture or cooking time and this was just as good as the first time. 

As for leftovers, I packed this in our cooler for the car trip. I was able to eat a slice of this in the car with no silverware. The texture was similar to pizza and it was good cold.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Just pinned this! Thx