}

Friday, July 6, 2012

Eggplant Rollatini

I first ate eggplant rollatini from the Kroger food-to-go section a couple weeks back. Oh my gosh was it good! I've been craving it since then but they haven't had any when I've checked. So I decided to make my own. Only... I couldn't find an exact recipe for what I remember being in their dish. I'm pretty sure they fried theirs. I'm more of a baking gal.

I found THIS recipe which helped me determine the baking part, the ingredients are all mine.

Slice your eggplant into thin steaks lengthwise. About 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick.


Salt and pepper each steak to taste. Then dip in 1) flour, 2) egg, 3) breadcrumb/parmesan mixture


Lay steaks on Pam sprayed baking sheet, flat, not overlapping, and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes flipping them halfway.

Take them out and let cool while you prepare the filling.

Chop sun dried tomatoes into long strips or at least smaller bits. (I could only find oil packed so that's what I used)


Mix approximately (sorry, no real measurement in this case) 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup 0% greek yogurt, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 1/2 - 1 TBL of pesto (depending on how much pesto you prefer).

*I didn't add pesto this particular time and felt it would have added a lot to the recipe.*


Lay slice of cheese (I used provolone, only thing I had) down and add multiple pieces of sun dried tomato on each steak and then put a large spoonful of mixture on top of that.

Roll them up and insert toothpick to keep them together.


Bake 400 degrees, 10-15 minutes

The kids played peek-a-boo around the counter as I was making this. They were hysterically laughing and it was all I could do not to join them and ditch cooking!


Jas and I both really liked the eggplant recipe. I served it with a salad and kept it basic. You could put marinara sauce on top, or serve with pasta. Either way, it's pretty healthy, really easy and very good!

Recipe (ingredients are approximate)
1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch steaks
2 cups flour
3 eggs
2 cups panko breading
1 cup parmesan (1/2 for breading, 1/2 for filling)
1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
1/4 cup 0% greek yogurt
1 TBL pesto
3-4 cheese slices of choice (provolone, mozzarella, etc...)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (sliced/diced into smaller pieces)
salt and pepper to taste

1) Sprinkle salt and pepper on steaks, dip into flour, then egg, then breading/parmesan mix. Lay single layer on Pam-sprayed baking sheet. 350 degrees, 30 minutes, flipping halfway through
2) Take out of oven and let cool. Start mixing ricotta cheese, greek yogurt, parmesan and pesto.
3) lay down piece(s) of cheese on steaks, top with some sun dried tomatoes and large spoonful of filling mixture
4) roll each steak and stick with toothpick to keep closed
5) bake 400, 10-15 until breading is browned and cheese is warmed/melted

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Sounds delicious! I'll have to try it!