}

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Outdoor Chalkboard



We spent a lot of time building the playhouse and the kids aren't really playing in it. In their defense, there is nothing in there to play with....yet.

I pinned a photo on Pinterest awhile back that I've been wanting to try out:


Jason wasn't feeling the oversized chalkboard and truly, I can't fit a piece this big in my car and haul back and forth. So I came up with a solution.

A chalkboard in the kid's playhouse! 



I grabbed a standard piece of plywood from Home Depot. You can choose from a variety of sizes and thickness. I went for the cheapest. It was just under $6.

I took it home and using the leftover can of chalkboard paint I had, sprayed it according to directions.

(This is the sheet after I'd already removed the sprayed plywood)

My Krylon chalkboard paint covered the whole thing but it wasn't a full can. After letting it dry for 24 hours, I tested it out with my hand and it felt really bumpy. I then sanded it down with 400 grit sandpaper to get it smooth. It worked well but a few parts needed more coverage. 


So I ran to Lowes and grabbed the Valspar brand. No reason other than it was closest. I'd also heard this was a great brand of chalkboard paint so testing it out was ok with me.


I sprayed it on, waited 2 hours and because I'm impatient, went ahead and sanded again until the board was smooth. I didn't notice a difference between these two brands. Both covered well, both needed sanding afterwards.

Then Jas helped me attached the chalkboard to the wall of the playhouse. We simply screwed in all 4 corners to the boards and put longer screws into the middle which was up against a post in the playhouse (for security)

Now to hold the chalk:



Does your chalk look like this too? Our dear friends and past neighbors gave this to Quinn before we moved away. She has used it quite a few times but there is A LOT of chalk in there! And now a carrot, softball, baby brush and some other stuff buried deep.

I found a great solution at Ikea:


The bar was only $1.99 and the pink cups were $.99 each! 
(kitchen utensil section



How cute is this chalkboard?! I'm so excited for the kids to try it out. It still needs to dry for a full 24 hours as of writing this post but then have at it!


Cost: (estimated)
Plywood: $6
Bar: $2
Cups: $2
Chalkboard Paint: $6
Total: $16

disclaimer: all "outdoor chalkboard" writing is photoshopped. I'm well aware it's placed differently in each photo, ha!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Have I told you lately that I think you are amazing? I LOVE the chalkboard! I wish my neighbors would get the wooden fence up along the back--I'd put one up! Of course, I'd have to have a canopy of some sort to protect it, but what a great idea! I'll bet the kids love it!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and what a nice playhouse you have provided for them. They should love going outside with all of the toys and the playhouse you have made for them. Shouldn't have to worry about cabin fever. Can't wait to see it, and all of you of course.

Love ya all

Dad Y

Sarah and Drew said...

Cute idea! I'm not a fan of indoor chalkboards, so this gets a thumbs up from me!