}

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bananas Foster French Toast

I made this one morning for the kiddos. Kellen couldn't get enough but Quinn declared that she didn't like it. The flavor was fantastic but the texture was not. If you know how to get this a bit drier and not so gooey/wet/dense, let me know.


Photo courtesy of bettycrocker.com

8 slices cinamon bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 eggs
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups maple syrup
1 tsp rum extract
6 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 cup chopped pecans

Spray bottom of 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange bread cubes in baking dish. In large bowl, beat eggs, milk and 1/2 maple syrup with wire whisk, Pour over bread in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight

When ready to bake:
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover, bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown along edges. Let stand 7-10 minutes before servings.

Meanwhile, in medium microwavable bowl, microwave remaining 2 cups syrup uncovered on High 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until warm. Stir in rum extract.

Sprinkle banana slices and pecans evenly over bread; drizzle with syrup. Serve immediately.

*This breakfast is friggin' easy to put together. I halved it and used a smaller glass baking dish. I also don't buy maple syrup b/c it's expensive and I'm cheap. So crappy syrup works just fine. I didn't put pecans on top b/c it was for the kids and only Quinn had bananas on hers, Kellen doesn't like them. I'll make this again for sure. Oh, Target sells a Target brand cinnamon bread in the bakery section that I used, it was great for this (and for french toast, toast, etc...)

3 comments:

Tale of a Super Hero's Mom said...

Sounds yummy...i make a recipe like this only minus the bananas. Mine is pretty gooey too but for best texture I make sure to put it in fridge over night (like 10-12 hours) cuz then the bread really sucks up the liquid!

Sarah and Drew said...

Way to go Betty Crocker! My favorite bread to use for French toast is the frozen white loaves, but they don't sell cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

I could handle some of that. I need to start making a list of items for when I come down. Hope Kellen is doing better.

Dad Y