}

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Baking Soda

I have a feeling that all grandparents are rolling their eyes at our "newfound" knowledge of baking soda. Heck, probably most of our parents too. This stuff, and it's natural uses, has been around for a very long time. But somehow Pinterest has made it accessible to dingbats like me!

photo courtesy of vanillajoy.com


Teeth Whitening
I started brushing my teeth with baking soda and peroxide last week. My teeth feel dentist clean and they're whiter. I'm not kidding. It doesn't taste bad, and I have wasted way too much money on teeth whiteners. First on is the toothpaste, then I pour some baking soda on and squirt Peroxide on top of that. No teeth sensitivity so far. I noticed a whiter difference on day 2 and I've been using this for over a week now. I highly recommend it.

DIY OxyClean
Did you know this same combination, minus the toothpaste, is a diy recipe for oxyclean? Well, according to THIS website anyways. I plan on trying it.

Exfoliating
I've also been exfoliating my skin using a baking soda paste. I just pour a little baking soda into my palm, add some water to make a paste and then rub on my face. I do this before my shower and let the shower water wash it off. It's fantastic.

Shampoo
Apparently you can make a shampoo with baking soda and water as well. I've read up on this a little bit and have my hesitations. First off, it's supposed to take awhile for your hair to stop making so much oil which equals oily scalp until the ph levels even out. That is not appealing to me (or my husband). So while I'm all for cheap and natural alternatives, I have my limits. We'll see on this one. I do think this would be perfect for the kids though.

Soap
You can dissolve some baking soda in a bathtub instead of using soap. This appeals to me for the kids' baths. I hate all the chemicals on their perfect skin.

Tummy Problems
A tsp of baking soda in a glass of warm water is supposed to help with an acid stomach, heartburn, gas and "other tummy issues". We eat a lot of Tums around here, maybe this would be a great alternative.

Unclog a Drain
A combination of baking soda and vinegar poured down a clogged drain will eat the grime and free it up. I tried this. The drain was so clogged I couldn't get the baking soda down. But it did erupt like a volcano (remember science fairs in elementary school!?). After Jason unclogged the drain, we both gagged and vowed to never let it get that bad again. So while this didn't work on our drain, I do believe in it's ability to do so if it can just get down there...

Clean Oven Glass
I read you could clean the indoor glass on the oven door with a baking soda and water paste. I tried it. It worked. Just make a paste, spread it on, wait 15-20 minutes, wipe it off.

Deodorizer
I have always kept a box in the refrigerator to soak up smells. But don't forget about your garbage if it gets overbearing (just sprinkle liberally on top. Or lets be honest, take it outside!). Also, you can sprinkle in shoes (boy do the kids have some shoes to try this out on), pour 1/2 cup in a load of laundry (with regular detergent), or sprinkle on carpet, wait 20 minutes and vacuum up.

Got any other ways to use baking soda? I'm all ears!






2 comments:

Deb said...

This is so awesome! I have used baking soda to clean grout and hard water spots. Works pretty well. Another awesome cleaner is vinegar.

Sarah and Drew said...

Did you die from a baking soda overdose?! What've you been up to?