}

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stuffed Mushroom Casserole


Every time I make mushrooms, or eat them, I think of our old neighbors who absolutely hate them. I never thought I'd be a big fan either but I am, I absolutely love them and I love stuffed mushrooms the most. Jason made the best stuffed mushrooms for our anniversary. They were the simplest ones yet and the most delicious. I don't remember all the ingredients (there were only a few), but blue cheese was used and it made them incredible.


This is not my photo. Just a pretty photo of mushrooms via google images


This weekend I found another stuffed mushroom recipe but this time in casserole form. Since we had people over Saturday night and were grilling burgers, I thought this would be more interesting than beans on the stove. Well, almost anything is more interesting than beans on the stove. 

It was so easy to make and overall pretty healthy. The cheese is what makes me hesitate on the "healthy" part. But who cares!

If you're interested, here is the recipe: (I didn't take a photo of our casserole, but the original website has many beautiful ones)

1 tablespoon butter, diced (plus more to grease the pan)
1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated with a microplane (divided)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 large stalks celery, finely diced
1 large onion, diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 lb button mushrooms (or any kind you like), thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves)
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 oz sharp Cheddar, shredded (divided)
Preheat oven to 400F; lightly grease 4 individual-sized gratin dishes with butter (or use an 8 by 8-inch pan).  (I prefer using individual-sized dishes; they make serving and reheating easier.)
Transfer 2 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to a small bowl and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the celery and cook 3 minutes, then add the onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaf and sauté 7 minutes.  Add the mushrooms and cook until all the veggies are tender and the mushrooms are browned, about 7 to 10 minutes.  Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme and cook 1 to 2 minutes more; cool slightly.
Stir together the veggie mixture with the breadcrumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, the larger portion of Parmigiano-Reggiano, and half the Cheddar in a large bowl.  Divide the stuffing mixture between the 4 prepared gratin dishes.  Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar and the reserved 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses on top and dot on the butter.
Bake until the cheese is melted and golden brown in places on top, about 10 to 15 minutes.  (Broil it for a couple minutes if you want it to have more color.)

*NOTE* I used one casserole dish instead of individuals and baked 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Also, I didn't have fresh grated cheese, I had the pizza topping in the can and it worked just fine. My mushrooms were thick sliced and Jas did say they needed to be cooked longer (a bit rubbery).
Also, I think blue cheese added in would be pretty good. Will try next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad they are mushrooms, looks yummy though.

Dad Y