}

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Our "New" Upholstered Chair

I found this sad gal at the thrift store for $12. I could see potential!


Even with her broken back


I started by spray painting her white. I used Krylon high gloss bright white (from Lowe's)


And because her back was broken, I put batting on the back with sticky tack. It comes in a spray can that I got from Michael's. Let me warn you about something so that you don't have to learn everything the hard way, which seems to be the only way I learn anything anymore. Spray the batting only. Don't spray the back of the chair. Because then the goopy, sticky tack gets on the chair and it does not come off. And all that spray paint work was for nothing because you have to sand it down and repaint. 

Don't worry, I didn't sand and repaint. Because it's on the back of the chair where no one will notice. And I'm totally lazy like that.


Then I attached foam to the front of the chair for extra cushion. I sprayed only the foam this time, not the chair. Lesson learned.


Next step was to line up the fabric.


*No picture exists, but I added batting on top of the foam before attaching fabric*

Jason stapled all the fabric in for me. I'm not good at doing that part and I have absolutely no grip. Since having two children, my hands feel almost arthritic some days. I've heard other mother's claim the same. It's difficult to open jars too. I will positively be the old woman alone in her house asking the boy next door to help open my pudding cup.


After stapling all the fabric around the chair, Jason trimmed the excess off.


Looks a bit sloppy around the edges but that's ok, trim will be put in it's place.


As for the trim, I wanted a sewn piece using the same fabric. I don't own a sewing machine, nor do I know how to sew. I enlisted my good friend Kendra who hooked me up with her skill and patience. She came over to help me attach it and voila, we have a finished chair people!!!!


I'd love to tell you how to sew the trim, but I don't have a clue. Many tutorials exist out there, this isn't one of them. Thank goodness Kendra knew how!


Pretty!


And for the final reveal, our gorgeous new chair! Gray, yellow and white. Beautiful.


The fabric is from Joann's. I bought it at 40% discount which made it around $25/ yard. I only bought 1 yard and that covered the seat, the top on the front and the top on the back. Also around 19 feet of trim to cover the whole chair. Not too shabby!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a really nice job. How long did it take? Hard to believe that is the same chair you started with. Nice job guys!

Grandpa Y

Sarah and Drew said...

Wowee! Love it.

Kristi said...

It's gorgeous...you did a great job...I love it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the chair! I need to borrow you and your craftiness to fix our kitchen chairs!
Angi

Madge said...

Great job! Wish I had a tenth of your energy!!

Jeb said...

Wow. That looks awesome! Glad to know someone else in Frisco has cool taste!