}

Monday, August 29, 2011

Thrift Store REDO

I found this sweet little table at the thrift store the other day

I'm not entirely sure what it's intended purpose is; coffee table or kid's table? But either way, I've been on the look out for a table to put in the playroom. Something bigger than what they already have. And for $7, this wins!

First, remove that awful fabric. And how nice of them to NAIL it to the furniture.

After using pliers, a hammer, a screw driver and lots of scrunched up faces, the nails are going to stay in... for now. You probably can't tell from this photo but they're strangely shaped. Not perfect circles and the thickness of each nailhead is uneven.


After checking the ikea.com website, searching "Leksvik" didn't show any furniture resembling this piece. I'm not entirely sure what it was worth retail.

I removed the fabric and found a well used kid's table. Crayon marks, dents, bubbled up mdf and tape.

I wiped it down and removed all the tape I could find. Then I coated it with Rust-Oleum's Painter's Touch Primer.


Um... what's the sand texture that keeps blowing off the paint? I wiped it down and put on another coat about 10 minutes after the first. Same thing. And not just on the furniture, it was covering the garage floor. A strange, dusty film that simply blew off the furniture.

After using THE ENTIRE can of primer and still not covering all the crayon, I went ahead and put on the Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Satin paint. Hey, I'm lazy.

Same freakin' dust. My garage floor is officially "dusty". And guess what?! After using the ENTIRE can of satin paint, the piece looks like this:

See the uneven paint surface?

That's using an entire can of primer and an entire can of paint on one small piece of furniture. You can even see the dust layer all over my garage floor and the garbage sacks. The dust did not exist before the paint cans were used!

Change of plans. I grabbed a can of Krylon Gloss from Hobby Lobby. This is what it looked like after three quick coats:

Beautiful. And the can of paint isn't even empty!

Moral of my story:
Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch: Thumb's down
Krylon Gloss: Thumb's up!!

5 comments:

Angie said...

Cute! It's perfect for crayons, paper storage etc. right underneath the table! Love the book shelves and am so excited to see how your playroom turned out!

Angie said...

P.S. uhm.. what are you doing posting at 4am? yikes!

Team Fuller said...

Behold the power of advanced posts! You can " publish" at anytime by choosing the options button and then scheduling your post!

Anonymous said...

Very nice job!

Dad Y

Madge said...

Looks great - what a beautiful room - you are not going to let children play in that room are you? hehehehe