}

Friday, August 19, 2011

Making Laundry Detergent

Would you believe I made my own laundry detergent?! After seeing it all over Pinterest, I had to try it.

These are the three ingredients I used. I looked at many different recipes on the internet and had trouble deciding on a brand of bar soap. After discussing with Jason, we wanted something with scent so I went with this Dove bar with nectarine and ginger.

Then all I had to do was grate it.

Throw it in a pot with 1 gallon of water and cook until the soap dissolved


Next you add 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Washing Soda to the pot. Bring to a boil and remove from stovetop. This is where you need to watch the pot. Just like boiling anything, it boils over. Oops.

After removing from heat, add in 1 gallon of cold water and let cool.

Then pour (with a funnel) into your container(s).

I didn't want to make as much as the recipe called for so I tried to make a half batch. But I messed that part up and used more water than called for. I ended up using these two containers that are probably equally full. You can tell on the apple juice container that it's not entirely full. When filling the containers, there were suds making it difficult to tell how full it really was. Ultimately, I have just over a gallon of actual detergent.

I let it sit for over 12 hours before using. The consistency was almost exactly like store-bought detergent. I saw many comments on the detergent becoming hard as jello or staying more like water. Apparently it can depend on the type of soap you use. But almost all of them were still usable.

After trying the first load this morning (on towels and one pair of shorts), I find it to be ok. The towels feel a bit harder to me. Almost like they're missing fabric softener which I never use. Perhaps it's necessary with this? Also, there is no fragrance whatsoever. That's okay, the clothes don't smell AT ALL. Not dirty, not perfumed. They just smell clean. Apparently the fragranced soap is not necessary.

Jason is much pickier about his laundry so I'll check his opinion on the clothing. Hopefully this is something we can use for the future because it's so cheap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how it works. Keep us advised.


Grandpa Y

Cheryl said...

Great minds think alike! I just bought more Borax today and was going to make some soap tomorrow! That's funny! Hope mine doesn't turn out like jello!!!!

Sarah and Drew said...

Cool stuff. My friend did this and it's definitely a cost savings. And my two cents...I don't like perfumed soap anyhow! :)

Angie said...

Feel free to give an update how it feels on your skin! We've got some sensitive skins in our family and spend mucho deniro on 7th generation.. it's the only one that seems to work for all 3 of us....

Madge said...

WOW - you are running on some high energy there - making your won laundry detergent? I am impressed!!