}

Monday, July 25, 2011

Weekend Projects

Happy Monday everyone! It's going to be 105 degrees here today. Don't be jealous! I hear it's going to be hot for you as well! (well, at least most of you).

So here are a few projects we tackled recently:

In Kellen's room, I added the 3 framed prints on his wall. They're from a free alphabet flash card printables collection you can find HERE. I tweaked them a bit in photoshop to suit the frames. I love these, they're vintage illustrations with modern colors. And I chose K, M, and F for Kellen's initials.

(sorry it's not a better photo, I'm using my simple point and shoot)

I already had the frames. They were the black frames I painted white awhile back. We had other intentions for them but cannot find anywhere in this house to hang them up. I know that sounds impossible but seriously, NOWHERE! So this is their new, beautiful home!

Here is a close-up of the "K"

We also got most of the fence stained this weekend. I say "we" because I helped on Saturday! It's not much relief for Jas but I pitch in when I can. We still need to do the back fence but it needs to be power washed first.

Now for my big project that I'm really excited about.

Remember that we put up a new fence because the old one was blown over from a storm? I had Jas save one of the sections so I could make something out of it. I thought at first I'd make a table but after spending too much time on Pinterest I had another idea!

A headboard for our guest bedroom!

Isn't it beautiful? Okay, I know it doesn't look like much right now. But it started out as a gray (see above fence that needs to be powerwashed) broken fence with rounded edges. I jigsawed the ends off (yes, me!) and then sanded it down. In the process, one of the boards broke. But I don't mind the broken piece. I think it could be a quirk of the headboard, plus, it'll never show the way the headboard will be placed.

After gluing some pieces together, I applied 3 coats of stain. Yesterday we bought some polyurethane to apply so it could be sleek and glossy, but after looking it over, I don't think it needs it. The wood is gorgeous.

Here is a close-up of the grain and color

I'm so excited about this piece. And the best part, the cost is absolutely NOTHING! (once I return the polyurethane, brushes and sandpaper).

Hopefully we can carry this piece upstairs to the bedroom within the next couple of days. I can't do it myself, the piece is still a section of fence and very awkward and heavy.

Okay, one last thing, you have got to try this recipe! I found it on pinterest.com and made it yesterday morning.


I already had all the ingredients on hand. Mine didn't look this gorgeous, of course. I didn't use enough bacon for the pretty topping but it was still awesome! Kellen ate a whole one and Quinn even ate one (with syrup).

You could easily reduce the fat by buying lower fat biscuits, turkey or veggie bacon, egg whites, skim milk and low fat cheese. Seriously, you have to try these!

Bacon, Egg & Cheese Biscuit Muffins

Ingredients:
1 package biscuit dough (10 biscuits)
3 eggs
3 TBL milk
1/3 cup shredded cheese
4 slices bacon
salt and pepper

-Cook bacon until almost done. Chop into bits, set aside.
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
-Whisk eggs and milk together, add pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
-Roll out each biscuit until slight bigger than muffin cup (will need flour to help roll out).
-Grease muffin tin with lots of Pam and push one biscuit into each cup. Push down on all sides and bottom.
-Divide cheese evenly into each cup and pour egg in, only filling to 1/2 way. They look empty but you have to account for biscuits puffing up. Egg will spill over if filled too much.
-Sprinkle bacon on top of biscuits. Some will sink into egg mixture so add as much bacon as desired for visual prettiness.
-Bake 10-12 minutes (mine took 12)

See recipe HERE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the biscuits! Can't wait to see all of the improvements.

Love

Dad Y

Sarah and Drew said...

Can you all just chill out and veg for a minute. You're making the rest of us look bad. :)

Madge said...

Wow - what energy you have!!! I always say 'do it while you're in the mood'! The bed looks great and love the pictures!

Thanks for the recipe - gonna try it out on Tim this week!!

Love the ideas - keep 'em comin!!
Madge