}

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thrifting and Sugarboo!

I'm a bit obsessed with thrift store shopping, flea markets and consignments. I'm loving the hunt. Okay, okay. I watch a lot of HGTV. A LOT. and I read lots of blogs. So you probably know that repurposing furniture and finding things cheap is all the rage right now. Well, our household is no exception. Having a brand new home and one income, we've been getting our craft on.

I told you Jas was working on putting up wainscoting in the front room. I still need to paint it but since it will have to be oil based, I've been dragging my feet and researching online how to use that stuff. This last weekend we finally bought some primer to try out.

Have you heard of freecycle.org? Also obsessed with this website. In Frisco, it's HUGE. I have gotten so many toys for the kids that Jason has forbidden me to accept anything else for now. Well, a little while ago, someone was giving away an old hexagonal, laminate side table. I knew that oil based paint would have to be used to paint laminate so I told them I'd take it. It's the perfect practice.

Yesterday I decided to try it out. If you've never used oil based before, just try not to get it on anything. Because that stuff really does stick. I have the mineral oil but didn't want to put it on my hands. They're already cracking from all the bottle washing I do daily. Having said that, some of it washed off with water, the rest isn't on my hands today so who knows what happened there. Maybe it just sloughed off.

I will say this about the paint, it stinks! I had the garage door opened for hours and our garage still smells bad. The house smelled bad too, I had to light a candle and let it burn for a very long time yesterday. So before I do the dining room, it will have to be a beautiful day with windows opened and the children will have to be gone. When I finish the side table, I'll post photos.

Anyways, the point of this post: I found the most amazing frame this weekend and didn't even know it until today!

Have you heard of sugarboo designs? I had not either. But while I was at the consignment shop, I spotted it sitting on a couch. The price tag said $20. Granted, that's more than what I pay for anything lately. But it was so beautiful. And while we're not decorating the house in green, I knew I'd find a place to put it.

So I texted Jason a picture of the frame and asked him what he thought. He said he couldn't really tell from the photo but it was my decision. You know what that means right? BUY IT!

So I did. And after researching online where to buy more, I found out just what a gem I had bought. Scratch that, practically STOLE! These frames go for $250! Anyways, here is the frame. Don't you think it's beautiful?

front of frame. A photo goes in the middle.
"May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. Old Irish Blessing."

And here is the sign on the back of the frame:
The art by this company is so beautiful. There are many more pieces I want for the house. But at $250 a pop.... I'll have to keep consigning!!!

4 comments:

Angie said...

My friend welcome to the fun of thrifting.. I gotta admit.. I'm also not ashamed to pick up a sturdy piece of furniture off a curb, strip and stain or paint it. That's how most of Jules 'playroom' furniture ended up at our house. Mom and I were driving around and found 2 antique dressers and a beautiful desk/side table. The guy was tossing them out. FREE! SCORE! They just needed some TLC! Also.. I'm a major fan of Centsational Girl. On one of her posts, she talks about oil based paints and actually recommends some good ones. She also suggests using the cheapo 3-4 in a pack paint brushes at Target for $5 so you can toss when done since oil based paints are so difficult to clean. And.. I've read elsewhere, cooking oil gets oil based paints off skin really well. Supposedly, pour it on your hands, rub and rinse. Haven't tried it yet but.. next time you paint with it.. it might be worth a try! Looking forward to pics! We'll have to check each others out when I finish up my scores in the playroom!

Sarah and Drew said...

Score! Can't wait for our visit!

Madge said...

Great job Hilary!! Now add the coupons, the web sites for saving, and the reward cards. It's all about survival!
Can't wait to see the pics of your projects!!!

Anonymous said...

Love what you do honey. You have a talent that needs to be used and expanded. Had a great time visiting, love you all so much.

Grandpa Y