}

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What's Going On With Everyone?

I feel like we've quarantined ourselves from the rest of the world. After we got back from our Christmas trip, I was so emotionally, physically and mentally exhausted that I just shut us in the house with the occasional trip outside to blow away the dust. That's a bit of an exaggeration but somewhat true.

I've been working really, really, REALLY hard on Kellen's schedule and sleep habits. I am not the kind of person who can function without sleep and especially without some kind of order. I need predictability in my life, to a point at least. So for the past 3 weeks or so, it's been all about getting him on a schedule and making sure that Quinn was getting enough sleep as well, along with plenty of playtime and learning our abc's, colors, numbers, etc...

Here's where we're at on Kellen's sleep: He eats for the last time at 6:30pm, is ready for sleep at 7:30, wakes for a 1 am feeding and then wakes for the day anytime btwn 5:30am - 8:30am. Mostly this is because of a dirty diaper. And lets be honest, who can sleep through a dirty diaper? So I don't blame him.

I consider his waking for a feeding one time to be a huge success. And a great payoff after all this hard work. I was beside myself trying to get him on this schedule. I cannot function when I'm waking up every hour. You don't want to fall asleep if you're going to wake up again in 10 minutes. The anxiety is excruciating. Not to mention how horrible it is to be woken up just when you hit a deep REM sleep. The disorientation, the irratibility. It's tough. So this I can handle.

So here are some milestones that he's hit: (inspired by Deb's blog)

He rolled over from stomach to back December 27th. Heather and I were enjoying the quiet afternoon while the toddlers slept. Kellen had just eaten and we were having tummy time. Then he just rolled over, unassisted. We tried for the next hour to get it on film but failed. He hasn't done it again either. But he did almost roll over back to tummy 2 weeks ago in his crib. If he hadn't hit the side, I'm sure he would have succeeded!

He laughed for the first time last week! I don't remember the day or date but Jason got it out of him (surprise, surprise). He tried to show me but Kellen didn't cooperate. Just this morning though, while tickling him, he gave me the biggest, deepest belly laugh. Made my entire morning!

I've also tried to photograph him a couple of times for his 4 month photos. He doesn't care for the camera. A bit heartbreaking for me of course. Quinn, until she could run away, was the world's best model. I have the best photos of her. Kellen's photos are of him looking the other way almost every time. I pull the camera away from my face and he smiles big. I hold the camera up and he looks away.

Tomorrow is his 4 month appt. I'm anxious to see what he weighs. I also have lots of questions for the doctor regarding reflux, his food and some rattling noises in his chest. Both kids got colds January 1st and both still cough. Kellen's rattling could be that, or it could be his reflux. I'm not sure. His reflux is still pretty bad though. He doesn't seem to be in pain but he still pukes up a lot of food. It's much better now that I've started mixing 1 1/2 scoops into 5 ounces of milk. But the bottles that have water and formula seem to stay down better. We'll see what she says.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Glad things seem to be getting on schedule. Can't wait to see you guys, will get down as soon as I can. Love you all.

Grandpay Y

Madge said...

I find it interesting that while we have kids - we are still in a phase of needing quite a bit of sleep ourselves. Now that I'm in my 50's, my kids are grown, and I get by with 2 - 3 hours of sleep a night. . . go figure!!! I sure could have used this energy in my 20's!!!