}

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Cookies

I love holiday baking! This year I tried my hand at gingerbread cookies for the 1st time. I'm always intimidated by any recipe that requires a rolling pin. But having successfully made sugar cookies this summer, I was ready for gingerbread.

They are super easy! Who knew? (except for everyone). Now, I'm no Bakerella, she's the master at decorating. In fact, I'm not even good at it. But I gave it a try anyways. And they turned out "ok" if you ask me. I used royal icing for the white parts and candy melts for the color. Sure, there are different things I'd do next time, but they're still fun and kind of cute.

And just for fun, I made Betty Crocker's good, old fashioned chocolate chip cookies. It's the best recipe and I cannot stop eating them. In fact, I'm munching on one right now while typing this post! So 200 pounds, here I come!

Don't you love this little plate? My aunt and uncle gave this to me two years ago for Christmas. Cannot wait until the kids can read and know what it's for!

Gingerbread Recipe (courtesy of Paula Deen y'all!)
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 stick of butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (or from a can if you're like me)
1/2 tsp salt

~Cream sugar and butter on low speed until combined. Add eggs and molasses, mix until combined. Sift together in separate bowl flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add dry, sifted ingredients to butter mixture and combine.
~Remove dough from bowl, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
~Preheat oven to 350 F.
~Using parchment paper, line cookie sheets, roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick and use cookie cutters.
~Bake for 8 minutes!

Royal Icing:
3 egg whites
1 (16 ounce package) powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (I used 2 tsp fresh lemon juice)

~In large mixing bowl, combine ingredients
~Beat with electric mixer on high speed for 7-10 minutes until stiff
~Use at once, covering icing in bowl with wet paper towel to prevent from drying

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sure to bring some of them along! See ya soon.

Love

Dad

Anonymous said...

They look so good Hilary!
Susie