}

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Low Fat Pumpkin Muffins


I'm still on a pumpkin kick. I love it! The smell, the sight of a cute pumpkin, the flavor... it screams fall which is my absolute favorite time of year!

This is a recipe I found on food.com this weekend. With leftover pumpkin filling and a yellow butter cake mix shoved in the back of the pantry... voila!

The original recipe simply called for one cake mix and a 15 ounce can of pumpkin filling. Mix together and bake according to cake directions. But I added 5 heaping spoonfuls of cinnamon applesauce to help with the texture, a dash of ground cloves, 2 teaspoons (approx) of pumpkin pie spice and maybe 2 spoonfuls of regular sugar. I'm going off memory so forgive me if I'm forgetting an ingredient. But I really don't think you can mess this one up!

If you have a lower fat cake mix then you're really doing great. I'm pretty sure my yellow butter cake mix had more fat and calories than others but it's what I had on hand. Be warned, without pumpkin pie spice, this will not have much pumpkin flavor.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sounds delicious! Don't have the applesauce. But I'd like to try them! The cold weather is making me hungry! (Great!)

maggie said...

so i have been making these muffins for years with a cake mix and canned pumpkin. our fav is using a chocolate cake mix and pumpkin with some chocolate chips thrown in. they are wonderful!!! i'm trying yours with all the extra goodies in it. can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Try french vanilla cake mix, can of pumpkin and cinnamon! YUM!!!
LESLIE :)

Team Fuller said...

Oh I love the suggestions!!!

Madge said...

Very creative girls! They all sound great! Thanks for the ideas!
Madge