}

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Toddler Bed ~ Update

This is a bit premature seeing as Jason is trying to put her to bed as I type this. But I just have to share the naptime experience from today.

It took me over an hour to get her to sleep. I had the gate in front of her door, the door latched shut with the baby proof piece on the knob, and the gate latched at the top of the stairs. She woke up after sleeping for only half an hour.

I thought I'd let her cry it out since she's more safe with the toddler rails rather than the crib. So what does my clever little girl do? She opens her bedroom door (baby proof knob and all) and starts to climb over the baby gate at her bedroom door. I got to the top of the stairs before she got all the way over.

That is 4 obstacles that she has to overcome and she can get through them all. The only other thing I can think of to keep her safe is to install a hook outside her door up high that she certainly cannot reach. One that locks from the outside of her room. Does anyone know if this is for any reason unsafe for me to do?

I'm stumped

5 comments:

maggie said...

so i have a friend who reversed the door knobs on her children's doors so that she could actually lock them in their room and they couldn't get out. she had kids similar to quinn who could overcome almost any obstacle placed in front of them. hope this helps! good luck!

Angie said...

Don't know if this helps or not but the hook thing was talked about in one of our baby classes vs. baby gates and they were against it- mainly for fire safety, emergencies etc. They didn't have alternatives beyond baby gates though. If you double them, one above the other.. would she still climb it?
Some of Jason's friends had a similar experience, they're solution was to teach both their young ones how to go up and down the stairs.. I think Noah knew stairs better than straight walking for a while!

Deb said...

Sounds like her and Caden are a lot alike. I tried everything with Caden, but never felt safe locking the door on him. And now I've given up and don't do naps. It was just too wearing for me to fight him for 2 hours to get a 1/2 hour nap. Try music, laying with her for a bit, and keeping a solid routine. With all the changes of moving, I'm sure she's feeling a little insecure. I hope she starts napping well for you again soon!

Sarah and Drew said...

I think it's time to get a big guard dog! But my cousins spent their toddler-preschool years with the knobs turned the other way...and they are mostly normal! :)

Madge said...

This is a tough one - you need for her to nap and she needs to play! Kids go through many stages and it sounds like Quinn is working through the 'I don't think I need a nap' stage.
My only suggestions -
- Try to stick to a routine as strictly as you can.
- Give her some time to re-adjust to the new house.
- Nap with her.
- Work her so hard that she is exhausted and wants to sleep. :)
I'm not too keen on locking anyone in a room - just feels wrong to me - sorry.