}

Thursday, April 15, 2010

New Recipes

I don't know about you guys but I lack imagination when it comes to dinnertime. Not only that, but I'm a tad lazy and okay with eating the same turkey sandwich day in, day out. However, my husband and daughter are not okay with it. I recently found two recipes that turned out great and thought I'd share them with you.

Chicken Pasta Milano

1 TBL butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
1 cup chicken broth, divided
1 cup heavy cream
4 boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 TBL olive oil
2 TBL basil
8 ounces cooked and drained bow tie pasta

1) in large saucepan, melt butter over low heat
2) add minced garlic and cook about 1 minute
3) add tomatoes and 3/4 cup chicken broth
4) increase heat to medium and bring mixture to boil
5) reduce heat and simmer uncovered, about 10 minutes
6) add cream and bring to boil again, stirring frequently
7) simmer over medium heat until sauce is thick
8) sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of chicken
9) heat olive oil in skillet, add chicken and saute until cooked
10) remove chicken and drain fat
11) in same skillet, stir 1/4 cup chicken broth with pan juices. Bring to boil. Reduce slightly and add cream sauce. Stir in basil
12) serve chicken over pasta, pour cream sauce on top

I did not serve this with the chicken, therefore skipping steps 8-12. I just made the sauce and mixed with cooked pasta. It was really good! Jason also dislikes tomatoes but didn't mind the sun-dried ones in this recipe.

Oven-Fried Chicken Chimichangas

2/3 cup salsa
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, chopped with tops
6 flour tortillas
2 TBL butter, melted
shredded cheese for serving
chopped green onion for serving
salsa for serving

1) Mix chicken, salsa, cumin, oregano, cheese and onions in bowl
2) place approx. 1/4 cup of chicken mixture in center of each tortilla
3) fold opposite sides over filling
4) roll up from bottom and place seam-side down on baking sheet
5) brush with melted butter
6) bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes (or until golden)
7) garnish with cheese, green onion and salsa

I didn't use the green onion b/c I didn't have any on hand. I did throw in some sauteed eggplant. Corn, bell peppers and any other veggie you have on hand and like in mexican dishes would work perfect with this. It was super quick and easy, very little mess and the baby even liked it. Oh! We also only had Peach Chipotle salsa on hand so I used it (with a prayer). It was really good! I think this would be a fun appetizer or party food if made with smaller tortillas.

And here is a salad recipe that Jas and I really like. It takes a bit of time because you make the dressing and brown the almonds and ramen but it's super good.

Spinach Salad with Mandarin Oranges:

3 TBL butter
1 package ramen noodles (flavor doesn't matter)
1/4 slivered or sliced almonds
1 can mandarin oranges, or fresh if preferred
2-3 bags baby spinach

Dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBL soy sauce

1) saute ramen noodles and almonds in butter until light brown. (these make the "crispies" which can be frozen as leftovers)
2) Combine all dressing ingredients in jar and shake to mix
3) toss everything together in bowl and serve

2 comments:

Madge said...

I love it when people share their recipes! I'm always looking for something new.
I am creating a cookbook online. I will send you a link - it may give you a few ideas for something different.
Love,
Madge

Angie said...

Forget the recipees I love the Widget!! Yea Baby Fuller!!!!