}

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

~ 11 Months ~ & Q's First ER Visit

Ugh, what a weekend. Quinn got very sick and we ended up taking her to the ER. I'll start at the beginning.

Saturday morning she had a runny nose and was drooling like crazy. We chalked it up to teething. By Saturday night, she was really fussy and had not slept since noon. She had trouble getting to sleep though because she was coughing so frequently.

We were up all night with her trying to make her comfortable. I held her in my arms on the couch so the drainage wouldn't block her breathing. This only worked in 15 minute intervals before she was either too uncomfortable or starting coughing again. This went on until 7am. She slept maybe an hour that whole time. Jason and I were exhausted too.

So at 7 I decided to feed her some breakfast and then put her back down to bed hoping that would take care of it. She slept until 11:30 and then woke up to a hacking cough. All day Sunday we tried to figure out what to do with the cough and how to get her to sleep.

Finally, at 7pm Sunday night, she spiked a fever of 102. I called the after hours doctor and they were really concerned that she was coughing so much/frequently and that she hadn't slept. They told us to get her into the ER for fear that she would become so tired she'd give up breathing.

I know this sounds very dramatic. It really wasn't so bad, but since it was Sunday night, the ER was the only thing open. Had it been a convenient Tuesday afternoon, she would have gone to the pediatrician.

So we get to the ER and they give her two nebulizer treatments, steroids for inflammation, flu swab up the nose and a chest xray. They also checked her ears for infection. Results show that she doesn't have the flu, her chest xray shows congestion, and she supposedly had an ear infection which the pediatrician ruled out yesterday.


The experience was really uncomfortable and agonizing for Quinn. She was too tired to deal with any of it and screamed quite a bit towards the end of the visit. I don't blame her, poor thing. But overall, she's been a tough cookie. We're really proud of her.

The second nebulizer treatment really did her in. She was screaming and fighting with everything she had and then just passed out in my arms. She couldn't take any more. That's when Jas got most of these pictures.

We left the ER at 1am and she got to sleep a little after 2:30. I think it was just too much for her and she constantly cried for me to come pick her up. I had to let her cry it out for a few minutes at 2:30 so she'd go to sleep. That, and we needed sleep too.

So she finally got the rest she needed and slept until 11:30am yesterday. After she woke up, we drove all over running quick errands and picking up her medication, including a shiny new nebulizer. Then, at 4pm we had the follow up appointment with her pediatrician.

It turns out that she has bronchiolitis and that it's been going around for lots of young ones. The doc said she's seen a lot of these cases recently and thinks it's the weather change. Let me just say this gave me some relief. I'd rather her have a quick infection than something be wrong with the formation of her lungs. Since she's been struggling with coughing and asthma for some time, I was afraid that she'd just reached a point. But she hasn't needed her inhaler for over a month which is fantastic.

Today we're going to stay home and take it easy. I have to force the nebulizer on her which she absolutely loathes but in between we'll have some play time and maybe I'll get some fall decorations put up around the house.

7 comments:

maggie said...

poor baby! i'm so sorry that you had to go through that. i hate the ER and we have had way to many visits to that place with Evie. it is the worst place to be, it takes forever, and the kids just want to go home! i hope she recovers quickly and you are all able to get some rest.

Anonymous said...

I have an appt for emily today. She was up all night coughing last night. We can so realte to your story!!! I'm just glad we don't have to go to the er! Oh, by the way...I thought I was the only mom who snapped shots of her sick kids in the dr.'s office! :) Hope Quinn is back to her old self in no time!!! Hang in there Momma!!

Anonymous said...

By the way Leslie is Anonymous! :)

Angie said...

That bites the big one! So sorry the little one had to go through that. We've been there and can sympathize completely. Glad things are getting better and she's getting some rest!

Cheryl said...

That does it! Grandma Yoder needs to win the lottery or something so she can be available to take care of her grandbabies when they are sick.

Madge said...

I'm so sorry that you all had to go through this! How scary for all of you! I hope Quinn is feeling better!!

Sarah and Drew said...

I keep checking your blog at work, and can't leave comments w/o being blocked! Sorry you guys had to deal with that.